More and more folks, including seniors, are opting for tablets over traditional computers due to their convenience and user-friendly features. Tablets, known for their sleek design and computing power, have become a go-to choice for people of all ages.
With so many brands in the market, choosing the right tablet can be a bit overwhelming. While the iPad was the go-to, newer models from Amazon, Samsung, and other companies offer fantastic features at appealing prices.
Considering different needs, budgets, and possible hearing and vision requirements, we’ve compiled a list of the top 10 tablets catering to seniors. And because we know accessories matter, we’ve also included a list of potential add-ons. Plus, we’ve got some websites to guide you in your quest for the perfect tablet. So, let’s make finding the ideal tablet a breeze!
As you check out our tablet recommendations, it’s essential to keep a few key points in mind:
- Tablets vs. Laptops: Unlike laptops that pack the same computing punch as desktops but in a portable form, tablets handle a fraction of laptop functions. A tablet could be a great fit if your needs involve casual web surfing, online games, social media, and browsing favorite sites. However, a laptop might be more up your alley for tasks like running photo editing software or handling large spreadsheets.
- Touchscreen Interaction: Tablets rely on touchscreens for input and usually don’t come with a keyboard or mouse. If you’re accustomed to a traditional setup, no worries – you can add these as accessories later. You might also consider picking up a stylus, resembling a pen, for tapping, typing, or writing on the screen.
- Internet Connectivity: Tablets connect to the internet through WiFi or a 3G network. If you opt for 3G, remember there might be an additional monthly fee through a cellphone carrier.
- Different Operating Dynamics: Tablets operate differently than laptops. While laptops and desktops use operating systems, tablets run on smartphone technology. Expect your tablet to function more like a supercharged smartphone than a traditional computer.
- Varied Screen Options: Tablets come in various screen resolutions and sizes. Finding the right fit may involve a bit of trial and error, but as a general rule, go for the largest screen your budget allows to enhance viewing, surfing, and reading comfort.
Top 10 Tablets for Seniors
Let’s dive into some top tablet options for seniors, each with its own pros and cons:
ASUS VivoTab RT TF600T-B1-GR:
- Pros: Solid construction, excellent screen resolution, Windows 8 OS.
- Cons: Can’t run Google Apps, sensitive trackpad.
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2:
- Pros: Easy to use, great battery life, Wi-Fi enabled.
- Cons: No SIM slot, reported operating system bugs.
Apple iPad mini MD531LL/A:
- Pros: Lightweight, great for web browsing and e-reading.
- Cons: Small for typing, occasional printing challenges.
Microsoft Surface Pro 3:
- Pros: Blends tablet convenience with laptop productivity and runs Windows and Microsoft Office.
- Cons: Accessories sold separately, some speed complaints.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 with S Pen:
- Pros: Loaded with features, quick setup, and excellent battery life.
- Cons: Small S Pen, touch screen can be sensitive.
ASUS MeMO Pad FHD 10 ME302C-A1-BL:
- Pros: Smooth navigation, good battery life, USB port.
- Cons: Pre-loaded with free software and cheap design.
Lenovo Tab 10:
- Pros: Fast startup, clear display, dual cameras.
- Cons: Can be a bit slow, touch sensitivity issues.
Kindle Fire 7″ Tablet:
- Pros: Superb web browsing, fast processing, excellent for entry-level users.
- Cons: Reported battery issues over time, loose ports.
Google Nexus 10:
- Pros: Gorgeous display, great sound quality, smooth operations.
- Cons: Memory-heavy apps, slower battery charging.
Acer Iconia A500-10S16u:
- Pros: WiFi enabled, fast and clean, good for entertainment.
- Cons: Easily scratched plastic screen, reported screen problems.
Consider your preferences, needs, and budget to find the tablet that suits you best. Whether for casual browsing, business, or entertainment, there’s a tablet for you!
Best Accessories for Your New Tablet
When it comes to your new tablet, accessories aren’t just fancy add-ons; they’re sometimes downright essential! Tablets, being small and portable, often endure a bit more bouncing around than your regular laptop. Those inevitable dings and scrapes can spell trouble for your tablet, potentially ruining the sleek device. So, when you snag your new tablet, don’t forget to grab some accessories to keep it protected, well-maintained, and ready for enjoyment.
Consider getting a tablet cover or case, available in various sizes and styles, each crafted for specific devices. Before making a choice, double-check that your pick is a perfect match for your shiny new tablet. After all, a little extra protection goes a long way!
Best Screen Protectors
Since tablets rely on touchscreens, their screens bear the brunt of wear and tear. Even with the utmost care, accidental scratches or scrapes are bound to happen. Enter screen protectors – clear shields that snugly fit over your tablet’s display to keep it safe. Like cases and covers, these protectors need to be the right size for your device, so check your tablet’s specs before picking the perfect screen protector.
JETech® 2-Pack Screen Protector Film for Apple iPad Air:
- Why it’s great: Clear, cling film protector designed for Apple iPad Air, leaving no residue upon removal.
Tech Armor Apple iPad mini 3 / iPad mini 2 / iPad mini Premium Ballistic Glass Screen Protector:
- Why it’s great: Promises protection against scratches and dings, perfectly sized for Apple iPad mini products.
Film Screen Protector for Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4-inch Premium HD Clear:
- Why it’s great: Tailored package of screen protectors designed to fit the Galaxy Tab S 8.4.
ArmorSuit MilitaryShield – Ultra Clear Screen Protector For Kindle Fire HDX 7″ + Lifetime Replacements:
- Why it’s great: Offers top-notch display protection for Kindle Fire HDX 7″, promising lifetime replacements.
Through Fire 7 Screen Protector – Bubble Free Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7″ Premium Anti-Glare Screen Protector:
- Why it’s great: iThrough’s screen protector provides crystal-clear viewing while safeguarding your Kindle Fire Tablet with tempered glass for extra scratch protection.
Shielding your tablet’s screen doesn’t mean sacrificing its display quality. These screen protectors are tailored for various tablets, ensuring your viewing remains crisp and clear while giving your device that extra layer of defense against scratches and nicks.
Battery packs are the unsung heroes when it comes to keeping your tablet powered up on the go. Check out these options:
RAVPower USB C Battery Pack – for Smartphones and Tablets includes cables:
- Why it’s handy: This battery pack extends your tablet’s battery life, providing extra power on the fly. Simply connect through a standard USB cable.
External Battery Charger – Portable Dual-Port USB 10000mAH Backup Power Bank BEST Pack for any iPhone, Galaxy S3 S4 S5 S6, Samsung Note3, iPad:
- Why it’s handy: A universal backup power bank for your device, ensuring you stay mobile even if you forget to charge your primary battery.
Ainope Portable Charger – 10,000mAh Dual External USB Battery Charger:
- Why it’s handy: The Ainope comes with a free charging cable and offers a 22-month money-back guarantee, making it a reliable choice for your charging needs.
BULL-TECH Portable Charger:
- Why it’s handy: This auxiliary battery backup and rechargeable battery pack boasts a lightweight and compact design, perfect for on-the-go charging.
Jackery Portable External Charger – 12000mAh Portable Dual USB Port External Battery Charger/Power Pack for Smartphones and Tablets:
- Why it’s handy: With stellar reviews, this heavy-duty charger includes a charging cable and a 24-month product warranty for added peace of mind.
With these battery packs in your arsenal, you won’t have to worry about running out of juice when you need your tablet. Stay charged and connected wherever your adventures take you!
To sum it up, we’ve covered a range of tablets suitable for seniors, including user-friendly options like ASUS VivoTab and business-oriented choices like Samsung Galaxy Note Pro. Accessories like tablet covers, screen protectors, and battery packs enhance the tablet experience, ensuring protection, clarity, and constant power. Whether the sleek Apple iPad mini or the versatile Microsoft Surface Pro 3, there’s a tablet and accessory combo for every need and budget. Stay connected and enjoy the digital journey!